Tell anyone in my family a compliment (my brothers and sisters if you know them) and watch them blush, hm and haw, see how they redden but they do not know how to take a compliment. I think it's a family trait. I suffer from the same malady. I mean, I no longer contradict people, as I did in my younger years, but I still don't know how to respond. Take today. I spent some time preparing a lesson and after it was done, several people said they enjoyed it. What did I do? I acted astonished, or dubious but never gracious. I don't know how to take it. So, my hubby, who was standing there while someone was telling me they liked my lesson, later told me that all I have to say is, "Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it." Or, "I'm glad you got something out of it." Was this taught in a class that I missed somewhere?
I think the sister problem is receiving gratitude. My sister-in-law and her husband came into town a few years ago around his birthday and my s-i-l asked me to make him a cake. A simple thing right? I thought so. Not a big deal. And they kept going on and on about how wonderful and thoughtful that was. And what did I tell them? "No big deal. A simple thing." My husband later gave me something better to say, which I have practiced and can almost say it without grimacing: "It was my pleasure." Or, "I was only happy to do it." So, now whenever somebody says thank you, I try to say something gracious. Now, I'm passing on this little piece of red-neck-abatement to you, dear readers. Enjoy my little nuggets of wisdom.
4 comments:
I'm glad you wrote this. Yesterday someone in the bishopric thanked me for pulling together the pot luck. I replied, "no problem, it is my calling." Then I realized I should have just said thank you. Why can't I just say thank you? I'll have to work on that!
I have the same problem. It's nice that we have husbands to help us out!
True True, I couldn't have said it better, keep the words of wisdom coming!
ooooh Amey--keep posting!! I love it! (Now say THANK YOU!) No, really, I do. That is great advice that I think many women stuggle with. So silly of us. At Chik Fil when you say, "Thank you" they always respond with, "My pleasure." So, if you need to get some reminders, go there and by some waffle fries and a shake! (Yuuuuuummmmmm)
P.S. Have you been reading Despereux? The author always says, "Dear Reader." Just wondering.
Post a Comment