Who am I?

I like Swiss chocolate, I'm a mother of three, a wife, a writer, and I'm a Mormon

Friday, September 18, 2009

Curious

I went to the feed store in the nicer part of town yesterday to buy some seed for overseeding my lawn. The owners of this small business were so rude to me. Granted, I had just come from a friend's house and I was wearing my painting clothes but still. I'm not going back.

Imagine this conversation:
Owner: (complete dead pan expression) Next!
Me: I need some grass seed.
Owner: What kind?
Me: George's Magic Mix.
(She scoops it out, weighs it.)
Me: Do you have any hay?
Owner: You mean straw? (Still with this annoyed look on her face) Hay's for horses.
Me: (chuckling slightly and feeling really stupid.) Right and straw is for lawns.

Maybe she was having a bad day, I mean it was really busy and maybe they didn't need my business.

Then today, I dressed a little better (I had lunch with my daughter at school, a little Friday tradition--Gotta look nice for that one) and I went into our local Ace. Rude, rude, rude, rude, RUDE! I needed to return something. I didn't have the receipt. She started taking other customers while she waited for the manager to come to give me store credit. So, I thought I'd look through my wallet a little bit, and pulled out a couple. No dice.

Without a receipt they can only give me the store credit (Do I have to give these people more of my money?) While the lady is punching in my numbers, running the card through. I told them that I was going to reseed, but the (other rude owner of above store) said that it was too late to do the weed kill first, he said go ahead and reseed. She looked at me with a total, Like-I-care look. Then when I walked out she said, "Too bad you didn't find the receipts, you could have gotten your money back. I saw some receipts from two years ago in there." I was like, "What?" Was she looking that closely at my receipts? Weird.

So here's my question, am I being sensitive? Or should I expect good service. I've already decided not to patronize those stores again. (This isn't my first encounter with the snippity lady at ACE.) But I'm not going back to that feed store again.

PS: Thanks for the tips on birthday presents. It's hard. I like the book idea, though!

1 comment:

Christine said...

I hate to say it,but sometimes I think this all happens because we are women. I've found at many a place like hardware stores and the such, that Scott is much more likely to get better service than I am. That Y chromosome means he knows about cars, lawn care, and home repair....at least according to them! I think I find it most annoying when it is the women treating other women poorly!