Saturday night I nestled my kids in bed and said excitedly, "Tomorrow is Sunday, you get to go to church." My son leans back and groans, "Oh no! I hate Sundays."
What? Already? I wasn't expecting this until at least Senior Primary. But four years old? He's barely out of Sunbeams. Oh, he's putting on a show, he does like to go to Church. It's the three hours before and the tedious hours after church when mom and dad, pooped from their teaching callings and meetings and the busy weekly schedule, retreat to their room for a nap. That's the part of Sundays he hates. Why does he hate it? I've bought enough LDS-logoed movies for them to watch for two weeks straight, what more could they want? I don't know, but something is missing. Structure? Real worship? I'm tired of Sundays being a waste. So, I'm opening this to you, what do you do help your kids find Sundays worshipful yet stimulating?
4 comments:
Lately I have just felt good if on Sunday I can get all the kids ready for church and out the door on time without going crazy.:) Some things that do help me to have more of a "Sabbath" experience though:
Get ALL CLOTHES and diaper bag ready the night before and have everyone bathed or showered.
Also, a great activity for Sunday is getting ready for FHE the next day--have whoever is doing the lesson work on that--we also do talent, scripture, and other stuff to involve everyone. We also work on scout stuff, personal progress, and Faith in God. THis does not always happen, but when it does I feel like we have used the day more to our advantage. Oh, also, my girls love to scrapbook so I will let them do that as well. And don't forget just playing games or reading books together--family time is great.
Hope that helps--it helped me to think about it!
To tell you the truth, I usually end up spending most of my Sundays in the kitchen or doing laundry. I wish I was better at relaxing and spending time with the family or helping others on Sunday!
Haha, that's kinda funny coming from such a little guy....I feel the same way about Sunday sometimes. It's a lot of work getting everyone clean, fed, well-dressed and out the door in time. Then everyone is starving and cranky once we get home...Usually after food, we relax with a family walk around the neighborhood. It's refreshing....although sometimes I would probably prefer a nap.
When the kids were little, we would try to read to them, let them help us cook Sunday dinner, go visit family or close friends, play quiet games, like scripture charades (one of their favorites) hide and seek (not always quiet), a go on family walks, among other things.
Post a Comment