Who am I?

I like Swiss chocolate, I'm a mother of three, a wife, a writer, and I'm a Mormon

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Third time's a charm

I've started three different times to post something of merit, something entertaining, or poignant or soul searching. Sorry, most of the time, I'm self indulgent and trite. I do want to offer a thank you for the suggestions on my last post. Our Sunday was awesome! We'll see if it continues. No, Amey, think positively. It will continue to be awesome! We had a mini-rebellion. My daughter, who is usually so sweet and compliant, and who usually wants to wear a nice frilly dress, wanted to wear a leopard-print skirt and an American flag t-shirt to church. Wha???? I sat down with her and talked how Sunday was a special day, how it is a day of worship, a day to think of the Lord and church with the sacrament (communion) is a sacred, reverent time. I went out on a limb and told her if she really felt like that outfit was reverent and would help her to keep the Sabbath, she could wear it to church. I held my breath as she paused to decide, wondering if she was going to church like Cheeta girl. She conceded at last and wore one of many of her beautiful church dresses.

So here is my question to you, dear readers, how do you let your children choose the right? How do you guide those decisions? I had to come to grips that my daughter might look really funny at church, and I had to be okay with that and let her make her own decisions. I want to practice now while she's only deciding what clothes to wear out of choices I've already made for her (I buy her clothes after all, everything is modest). I want my children to make good decisions without me forcing them. Is that possible? How do you do it?

No comments: