So, it's 9:35 and my son is in his crib and he's dancing around singing "Steppin' Time" from Mary Poppins and I think so myself, how did I get such cute kids!
Hubby and I finished the library's summer reading program of ten books over the summer. His was filled with deep and meaningful books, "Atlas Shrugged" and "Tale of Two Cities." Mine had dumb YA books that I checked our at random "1000 Reasons Not to Kiss A Guy" couldn't keep my attention beyond the first few pages so it didn't even make it on the list. The ones from my list:
1. Earthly Knight by Janet McNaughton--should've been McNaughty because it had a sex scene in it. I mean, come on, it's YA, don't they get enough sex on TV, music and internet?
2. Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (having a hard time reading my writing) Loved it. Based on true stories the author's grandma told her about her life growing up during the civil war. Won some Newberry Award. Favorite part was when Caddie's brother was supposed to memorize something for a school talent show or something of the sort. His lines were "If at first you dont' succeed, try, try again." But his brother messed him up by telling him "If at first you fricacee fry, fry a hen."
3. Slient Echoes by Joblonski She has a new book out, can't remember what it was. This book was about paranormal activity and almost believable. Written nicely, but not my favorite type of book. Girl from the 1800's and a modern girl speak. One thinking that she's skitzo the other that she is speaking to the dead.
4. Gypsy Rizka by Llyod Alexander Not only is he my favorite author (I wrote him once in third grade and he sent me his autograph) but I thouroughly enjoyed this little bit of triffling comedy about an orphaned girl who outsmarts the town concil.
5. Evolution, Me and other Freaks of Nature by Robin Brande I don't know, but it seemed to me she had an idea "You can believe in God and the Theory of Evolution" and she decided to diadactically shove it down the reader's throat. Even though I agree completely, I still don't like being preached to.
6.Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins A reccomendation from Amelia (thank you), a real page turner. She has never led me astray and I thought it was great. The writing was nice, the story orginal and her second book is coming out soon?
7. Besty by Rabin Based on a true story of a girl befriend Napoleon Bonaparte while he was exiled in St. Helena. It was a fun read, lots of French, which I enjoyed, but I just think it's cool when I stumble upon real historical fiction.
8. Beast by Donna Jo Napoli Told from the Beast's point of view of the story of Beauty and The Beast, didn't really do it for me. I did finish it, but the parts where he roams between Persia and France was pretty boring and I might've skipped over a few pages--don't tell the library, ok?
9. Really Inconvenient Truth by Iain Murry For all you politicos out there, I found this Non-fiction intruiguing. The left is using the environmentalist movement as another way of robbing us of our freedom is the premise of the book.
10. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson I know! I've never read it and was a little disappointed that Terabithia was just a lean-to out in the woods. Oh, well. I still cried in the end. Based loosely on the true friendship and tragedy of her son, made it more moving.
I also finished, Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by uh, uh, shoot. It was ok, love story except she relearns the meaning of life and who she really is and stops being such a prick.
2 comments:
Thanks for the list Amey--I'll have to try some of those out. I have already read several Shannon Hale books and LOVE them! My girls also both love The Goose Girl and The Princess Academy. I couldn't get at them for neglecting other things when they wanted to finish the books, because I did the same thing! You're so lucky you saw her in person.
Steppin Time!!?? How cute is that!!?? And good job on all of the reading!!
Post a Comment